[VoiceOps] Enum for carrier services

Darren Schreiber d at d-man.org
Mon Feb 21 02:33:12 EST 2011

Hello,
                I am researching whether or not ENUM is a viable solution for carrier-grade infrastructure routing. It has been suggested that utilizing DNS for number lookups within an internal network is a very powerful, redundant way of handling large volumes of traffic while also gaining caching and many years of DNS infrastructure reliability in one shot.

                Things is, I can't figure out why a 10+ year technology doesn't have excellent penetration if it's this good. I can guess that hooking a bunch of DNS servers to potentially SQL-based DNS servers has the argument of "why not just go direct to the DB to reduce latency/complexity" but DNS provides other advantages, ranging from local caching on each box (comes "free") to inherent redundancy with multiple name servers (though there's a delay in failing over obviously). And of course, if done properly with partitioning, DNS can be done via flat-files for ultimate speed.

                So, yeah, looking for any good reads on ENUM or other DNS related services, both pros & cons. Suggestions welcome.

- Darren