[VoiceOps] Matter of quality

sip vsp sip.vsp.5060 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:04:29 EST 2011

A large carrier with a national VOIP footprint indicated that they use
average call length as their primary problem finder.  If enough people
quickly hang up and redial, they start looking for a bad gateway, circuit,
etc.  Reactive and coarse, but that's how they do things.

-S

For those on this list who'd be willing to share particularly from say

an ITSP (Carrier) side, off-list, on-list, etc., what are the

percentages for quality, system issues some of you are using for

baselines/metrics. For example, I have one or two (alright maybe 10-20

at max) common 's:whiner:clients:g' who have caught management's ear.

"My call to a cellular dropped after 120 minutes!@" From my POV, I have

two maybe three common clients who are complaining... "Dropped call,

call sounded garbled, etc., etc., etc" From my perspective, even if I

had 1,000 of these calls in a day, it's less than .5% of the amount of

calls I process. Nevertheless, we as engineers want to perform due

diligence versus blurting the ever popular "told you so." This means

tracking down all other carriers' issues (Comcast filtering anyone), any

potential outages, and so on (you all know the routine).

So long story (rambling) short, what are some of the gauges you guys

(big boys not onesies twosies) use to measure quality metrics (amount of

dropped calls versus successful calls, ARS ratios, MOS, etc). I use a

combo of Acmes, NCites and soon to be Transnexus in the mix. Also, what

pro-grade measurement tools are recommended, less I waste an hour @

CAIDA or similar. Requirements of tools in mind: MOS would be nice,

tracing calls would be nice, storing SIP sessions would be cool. High

volume traffic parsing (think 100s of gigs here) Making coffee, even

cooler! (Beggars can't be choosy). For the vendors on the list selling

tools, please don't solicit, I'd rather hear what peers have to say

rather than spend time on the phone away from the beauty of figuring out

why someone else's configuration/setup doesn't work.

J. Oquendo

SGFA, SGFE, C|EH, CNDA, CHFI, OSCP, CPT

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to

ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things

differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E

VoiceOps at voiceops.org