[VoiceOps] using a T1 to extend PRI service and involuntary fax over sip

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Mon Jan 24 23:46:54 EST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Alex Balashov wrote:

> On 01/24/2011 08:03 PM, Chris Boyd wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Lonny Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Most point-to-point T1s that are provisioned are now being backhauled over
>>> IP
>>
>> I'm curious about this assertion.  I'm currently involved with a good
>> sized VoIP project, and it sure looks like all of the T-1s are coming off
>> OC level TDM muxes.  Not saying that it won't be true, but I'm just not
>> seeing it yet.
>
> Me too.  I haven't seen any evidence of this in the CLEC crowd down here.
> Nobody thinks TDMoE gear or other pseudowire approaches work worth a damn...

The people buying the TA5000 platform may be using it for example.
They have the right cards to do it and the platform is pretty popular.
We only used the gear for testing and light production use but I
see the chassis in every major CO around here with a good mix of cards.
They chain them together via gigE.

I have also used media convertors to carry TDM DS3s in larger buildings.

We still have a large TDM network though but keep thinking about
TDM over IP quite often in the near future. Sticking a DS3 sfp in
a switch and putting M13 muxes against it sounds pretty appealing
to me when you have solid QoS to go with it.

matt