[VoiceOps] using a T1 to extend PRI service and involuntary fax over sip

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Jan 25 10:21:06 EST 2011

On 01/24/2011 11:46 PM, Matt Yaklin wrote:

> The people buying the TA5000 platform may be using it for example.
> They have the right cards to do it and the platform is pretty popular.
> We only used the gear for testing and light production use but I
> see the chassis in every major CO around here with a good mix of cards.
> They chain them together via gigE.
>
> I have also used media convertors to carry TDM DS3s in larger buildings.
>
> We still have a large TDM network though but keep thinking about
> TDM over IP quite often in the near future. Sticking a DS3 sfp in
> a switch and putting M13 muxes against it sounds pretty appealing
> to me when you have solid QoS to go with it.

I think about this, but then think 'Why would I use a technology that
can't put 28 T1s in 45 megabit of bandwidth?'

I get it for stuff like g.shdsl metro-e, but in building or on glass,
might as well keep it TDM, and save the capex and tickets.

I'm sure technology may mature down the road but for now I just don't
see the payoff that it has, unlike VoIP does, where you actually save
bandwidth doing it as VoIP