[VoiceOps] using a T1 to extend PRI service and involuntary fax over sip

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Tue Jan 25 10:43:21 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Paul Timmins wrote:

> I think about this, but then think 'Why would I use a technology that can't put 28 T1s in 45 megabit of bandwidth?'

I looked at a system to do TDM over IP a year or so ago.  The advantages:

Ease of provisioning - go to a box and tell it take this T1 over there.  Do the same at the other end.  No mucking about with intervening muxes.

Ease of provisioning - You only need to keep track of a few huge pipes over the optical network, instead of all those tiny ones.

Restoration - You have an additional layer of IP route restoration above any optical redundancy you have.

It's worth looking at for brand new networks where you have lots of capacity to spare.  I sure do get a weird deja vu with all this MPLS, VoIP, and ToIP.  ATM was gonna do all this stuff too :-)

--Chris