[VoiceOps] using a T1 to extend PRI service and involuntary fax over sip

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Tue Jan 25 12:45:06 EST 2011

What also happens when your preferred vendor of SONET gear decides
to no longer make that product line? (Huawei for example, M1600 was
discontinued and the rest in 2012).

Is it time to find a new SONET vendor and have a mix of gear or just
go all IP which is where the industry seems to be headed? As in bring
in the WDMs and just build another network using your existing dark
fiber from CO to CO.

On top of that.. an OC48 sure aint what it used to be bandwidth wise
when you have key locations that use it up so quickly. Sell a couple
of OC3/OC12s, provision your own data needs, and you have this little
chunk left for the future... 10 gig has to be considered pretty quickly
and I really have no wish to replace OC48s with 192s.. Not only do most
of our chassis need to be replaced to support the 192 cards.. we have
OC48 cards just sitting and collecting dust. Give me 10G ethernet instead.

matt