[VoiceOps] Letting a phone ring forever?

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Tue Jul 26 14:51:11 EDT 2011

+1 on this answer.  Very few carriers (from the origination side) will allow
a call to ring forever, so the best answer to this is to test a few of the
relevant providers (Major cell carriers, local iLEC landline, etc.) and see
when they time out, and then let that be the limiting factor.  This will be
easy to show the customer, of course these types of customers are rarely
influenced by facts.

Not to mention there isn't a sane human in the world that will stay on the
line for 5 minutes when the line is just ringing and ringing.  Way before
that time they'll hang up and try your customer's competitor, who probably
has an AA that answers immediately.

	-Scott