[VoiceOps] Porting Number - CLEC

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Jun 17 11:23:24 EDT 2011

It depends on the ILEC you are dealing with. I've gotten AT&T Ameritech to
only require me to trunk to the tandems that my client has NXXs in, but if
you go to AT&T PacBell, they will require you to trunk to all the tandems
regardless of whether or not you have NXXs there. AT&T BellSouth operates
totally different than the other two and will allow you to install a
multi-tandem supergroup that will pick up traffic from all their tandems in
the LATA regardless of whether you have NXXs in another tandem or not. Some
areas of CenturyLink still require you to pay to trunk to every CO.....so
they are just all different!

The cost of trunking also varies. Most AT&T PacBell and Verizon ICAs now say
that each party pays for what's on their side of the POI. So if you have DS1
collo, you would only have to pay for transport between your collo and your
switch but nothing for the trunks. If you had DS3 collo and ordered a 3/1
MUX to terminate your trunks on, then you would have to pay for the MUX but
the LEC would cover the costs of the LIS trunks beyond that.

The reason some LECs like SBC, PacBell, and Nevada Bell areas require you to
trunk to all the tandems is because they are very much into wanting to
provide diversity so that if one trunk group goes down the whole LATA isn't
effected. So even though all your terminating traffic will come in on your
LRN tandem, they want to keep all your originating traffic dispersed to the
appropriate tandem. They also do this because it costs more for them to have
to pass traffic back and forth between tandems than it does if it goes
through the correct tandem.

Mary Lou Carey
BackUP Telecom Consulting
CLEC Consultant