[VoiceOps] ATIS: Next Gen networks and rural area call issues

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Nov 21 15:54:36 EST 2011

On 11/21/11 10:43 AM, Hiers, David wrote:
> I’ve been invited to attend an ATIS conference call on 12/8 regarding us
> next-gen networks and rural area call issues (completion, quality, etc).

In my experience the majority or rural area call issues are due to
traffic pumping done by the rural carriers themselves in conjunction
with chat lines, conference services, etc.

If there's a town with a population of 300 people, then it doesn't make
sense for carriers to have an aggregate capacity of more than 300 trunks
there.  Hence completion issues when the carrier deliberately abuses the
network for profit.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net