[VoiceOps] AT&T Right of Ways

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Wed Oct 5 19:52:23 EDT 2011

As far as I know, most of the time you're going to need contractors
certified to work in AT&T's ducts and manholes anyway (or people with
requisite training to engineer the cabling for proper anchoring, wind
load, and other things on aerial cable). Most of them are familiar with
the ROW application process. If you don't have people who are qualified
to do the engineering to demonstrate your cable won't unduly damage the
poles, and has appropriate wind load, you've got a lot of work and
education ahead of you unless you use a qualified contractor anyway.

If you want to do your own, my suggestion is to have someone else do
your first set, and then you have a working copy of all the paperwork
and the complex processes necessary to make it all work. In Michigan,
for example, you also need permitting from the municipality even though
you're using the existing utilities easement, which if you're a CLEC
there's a process called the METRO act that you go through that gives
you basically rubber stamped right of way access (you still need the
pole attachments from the ILEC, or the duct assignments).

Additionally, if you're going aerial, you need to inspect the route to
ensure AT&T owns the poles you need access to. They can only give you
ROW on poles they own (I think joint use agreements count here too) but
if they lease the poles from the power company you will have to work
with them to get access as well.

-Paul