[VoiceOps] TA900 DNS problems

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Sat Sep 17 22:57:34 EDT 2011

There is versions  in the A1 or A2 train (I want to say it's A2.02 and below, but don't know offhand) that would have one failed call per DNS TTL. This does not exist in recent versions and had to do with the internal DNS cache not handling expired entries properly.

Are you using DNS SRV? Can you sniff DNS traffic at your servers? What's the TTL? Is it lower than your registration interval?

We use it just like this and don't have any trouble like this, but we also don't use registration.


On Sep 17, 2011, at 9:20 PM, Richey wrote:

> We changed the IPs on our sip servers last night.   A few days before we changed them we made the following change in our TA900s:
> voice trunk T01 type sip
>   sip-server primary 216.x.x.x
>   registrar primary 216.x.x.x
> to
> voice trunk T01 type sip
>   sip-server primary sip3.atlga.domain.com
>   registrar primary sip3.atlga.domain.com
> Then we changed the A record from the old IP to the new IP.   We run a pretty low TTL on that domain and flushed the DNS servers that the TA900s look to.   After several hours about 60% of the TA900s required a reboot to resolve the hostname to the new IP and the other 40% won’t do it no matter how many times your reboot.  The only fix is to change everything back to IP based using the new IPs. The oldest firmware we are running is T900G2A-A4-02-00-E.biz upto the most recent.
> Has anyone else run into this kind of trouble with the TA900s?
> Richey
> _______________________________________________
> VoiceOps mailing list
> VoiceOps at voiceops.org
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/voiceops

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/voiceops/attachments/20110917/4e400878/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the VoiceOps mailing list