[VoiceOps] ATAs with CAT-iq and HD codec support

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Sep 21 16:50:16 EDT 2011

On 21-Sep-11 04:05, Max Mühlbronner wrote:
> even if some ATA would support g.722 the connected endpoint/phone also
> needs to be capable of HD voice quality..
>
> I don´t know about CAT-iq dect but i think for voip you would need a
> native ip Phone (with hd support), no ata.

Even a pure VoIP path is no guarantee; many IP phone manufacturers use
such cheap components that their "wideband" audio doesn't sound as good
as other IP phone manufacturers' "narrowband" does.

Analog phones are probably even worse; the manufacturers /know/ that
they're going to be plugged into the narrowband PSTN, so why would they
think to use better components?