[VoiceOps] ATAs with CAT-iq and HD codec support

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Wed Sep 21 20:38:29 EDT 2011

HDVoice is a topic quite close to my heart. I've been following some
recent developments that may be of interest.

First, the idea of an ATA that is G.722 (or otherwise HDVoice)
capable=0Ais a little odd. Anything that would connect via RJ-11 would,
by=0Adefinition, be built to PSTN standards and so NOT capable wideband
Aaudio.

Passing wideband to the PSTN would actually cause problems.
Everything=0Awill filter the analog audio to meet the 3.4 KHz passband
specified for 8 KHz sampling.

However, Arris Corp claims that their cable CPE could be HDVoice
capable=0Awith just a firmware upgrade. That CPE only provides an
analog RJ type connection to the customer.

Gigaset has stepped up and said that their DECT systems could,
again=0Awith a firmware update, accept wideband analog audio via the RJ
input.

This means of taking cable customers to HDVoice could be cheaper than
the other commonly suggested approach, which is to add a DECT/CATiq
base radio to the cable CPE. That would mean rolling out large numbers
of new CPE, at considerable cost.=0A=0ACable Labs have included
DECT/CATiq in their ercent specs, providing a formal standard-based way
to add HDVoice capability in cable CPE.

Here's some related resources:

http://www.hdvoicenews.com
http://www.mgraves.org