[VoiceOps] FCC issues Declaratory Ruling on Call Termination

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Tue Feb 7 20:20:22 EST 2012

+1 on Carlos' note about the free services that are the underlying cause for
this issue.  They put the services in these locations on purpose knowing
full well that the low costs they were paying for termination meant higher
costs on the other side.  As those services grew, there were obvious
consequences to the capacity the IXC's had into those areas.

As I was once told by someone at a major carrier that may or may not have
been mentioned by name in the OP, at some point when the call volumes to a
certain area are exponentially larger than what they should be based on the
actual population or even population growth expectations, it doesn't make
sense to build out the needed capacity to serve that growing volume of calls
if there are no paying end users to help cover the costs.

I find it "interesting" that not only did the FCC ignore the underlying
cause of these issues in the ruling, but it seems they have basically now
given the free conference and similar service providers the go ahead to keep
doing what they are doing without consequence, knowing the FCC has their
back.

As far as GV, they are not a "carrier" in the traditional sense because they
don't operate as a CLEC or IXC in any way that I have seen yet.  For
inbound, all their TNs (at least the ones I have checked) are ported to
either Level 3 or Bandwidth.com, which basically just makes them a big VoIP
customer of the big carriers.  Outbound is a little harder to trace, but in
all likelihood they mainly use the same carriers, perhaps some others as
well, so for their customers (or is it users for a free service?) to stop
having issues the IXC's they use will have to upgrade their trunking
capacities into the affected "rural" areas.

  -Scott