[VoiceOps] FCC issues Declaratory Ruling on Call Termination

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Tue Feb 7 11:58:08 EST 2012

I'm optimistic about this, though not knowledgeable enough to know the full
legal implications.  But it does seem like GV/L3/others will be forced to
change their ways.  Though maybe not GV, are they even considered a
"carrier?"

I wonder what will happen to those "free" fax and conference call providers
who caused the problem to start with?  Can the locals refuse service to
them?  Will the FCC look at their practices independently?

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:

> The FCC issued a Declaratory Ruling today in regards to call termination.
>  The ruling prevents originating carriers from passing the buck to LCR,
> puts responsibility on them if they are aware of degraded service, and
> attaches some stiff fines.
>
> It would seem to me that this would prevent Google Voice and others, such
> as Level3, from not terminating to certain (more expensive) NPA/NXXes.
>
> Frank

Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve
602-889-3003