[VoiceOps] Terminating 800 traffic with Caller ID of an 800 #

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Wed Feb 15 18:38:54 EST 2012

On 02/15/2012 06:29 PM, Darren Schreiber wrote:
> Hi folks,
> We have a customer who is insisting on setting their outbound Caller
> ID to an 800 #. They are complaining that /they /can't call other 800
> #s. Our testing reveals that many carriers are refusing to route the
> call when the Caller ID is set as an 800 #.
>
> In addition, if we try setting the ANI as one number via the From:
> header and then add a remote party ID header as Caller ID, it seems
> that most carriers use the From: and deliver that as the Caller ID to
> the alternate/receiving 800 #.
>
> Any thoughts on this? I am aware that it's up to the receiving 800 #
> to decide what NPAs to allow through and that what they're proposing
> complicates billing, so I suspect I just need to tell the client to
> deal, but they are insisting that this used to work on their PRI. My
> theory is that it did not work on their PRI but nobody ever noticed
> before.

This would actually work if their carrier had been setting the ANI as
their billing telephone number, and letting them only change the
CallingPartyNumber field.

If I recall in my testing, the ANI (ChargeNumber) field in the IAM is
what the switches are supposed to route based on.

Are you doing the tollfree dips yourself, or are you sending them
untranslated to another carrier for dip and termination?
-Paul