[VoiceOps] MOH server

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Tue Jun 5 17:36:15 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Adam Baird <abaird at telesphere.com> wrote:

> Thanks all,****
>
> ** **
>
> The justification for a premises based device is to allow the customer to
> manage their own live source however they please without having to engage
> us.  An ATA in this case is a simple solution with a small footprint, low
> cost and simple administration.****
>
> ** **
>
> For those who ask why we wouldn't just build it with Asterisk, I would say
> that it is primarily a matter of resource allocation.  It is often simpler
> to perform an interop on an existing device and deploy it than it would be
> to build a new service, even if it is ‘just Asterisk’ (specially given that
> we are not an Asterisk shop).****
>
> **

Asterisk itself is definitely not easy to work with and manage.  However
there are variants like AsteriskNOW which self-install from an ISO with no
tech knowledge, then are managed from a simple web UI.  We are an Asterisk
shop, but when we deploy anything custom with customer self-management, it
is on AsteriskNOW.

Another option is the Asterisk Appliance.  Hardware appliance with Asterisk
that's pretty cheap (relative to the size of deployment you're talking
about) with full support and no install of any software required.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve