[VoiceOps] Strange calling patterns

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 19:09:43 EST 2012

All,
So I know with the election tomorrow all bets are basically off for
weird calling patterns but I have seen some really strange stuff today
and was hoping someone else might have seen it as well or be able to
validate some theories.

I had a number in a Michigan exchange receive 99,000 inbound calls in a
single hour (no that is actually ninety nine thousand) and that user had
their number forwarded off to another overloaded Michigan exchange so it
generated nearly a million outbound call attempts as my system attempted
to find an open trunk to get through. Earlier I had a similar case with
a Florida exchange where a single user received 150,000 calls in an hour
all with invalid source numbers, and all arrived through otherwise
reputable origination carriers (L3, Paetec etc).

The commonality here is that in both cases the customer account had no
registered device and had forwarding setup, and the destination for both
was an overloaded exchange in a swing state. In all cases I have
suspended the accounts and stopped the traffic but it still doesn't give
me the warm and fuzzies.

My first inclination is this feels like some kind of DDOS to hurt
polling or last minute campaigning since if the attempts were legitimate
they wouldn't be winning supporters by calling them 150,000 times but im
really open to ideas here.

Anyone out there with some experience or theories, feel free to chime in
or reply off list if paranoid.

-Ryan