[VoiceOps] Number Portability Within a Carrier

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Oct 10 22:52:12 EDT 2012

So there are some pretty big Tier 1 names in the DID/telecom world: Level3,
Verizon, Bandwidth.com. Many resellers resell the DIDs they get from these
bigger companies.

The problem is that the Tier 1 company shows up as the "owner" of phone
numbers that we get from our Tier 2 or even Tier 3 providers. That's all
fine and good, but the problem is this:

     Me ------> Tier 2 provider --> Tier 1 provider
                                 /
     Not Me --> Tier 2 provider /

When someone submits a request to port a number, and they port it to a
different Tier 2 provider that gets its numbers from the same Tier 1
provider, I have no way, not even with an LNP dip, to find out that it was
ported, that the owner had changed.

I'm pretty sure Tier 1 providers don't have an API or any way that I might
be able to find out that they moved a number from one of their direct
customers to another. Am I wrong?

So how do we deal with this? How do we find out, in a definitive and
authoritative and programmatic manner, when a number we think is ours is
ported away?

Beckman