[VoiceOps] Canadian TFN Calls

Jared Geiger jared at compuwizz.net
Fri Oct 19 10:05:36 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Shripal Daphtary <shripald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I have an issue that seems to have arisen (perhaps recently), that
> i'm unsure of how to resolve.  We have a few customers in the Toronto, ON
> area where the outgoing CLID set as a Toronto TN (sourced from bandwidth.com
> i believe).  when these customers dial canadian Toll Free numbers, the TFN
> provider rejects the call. we send these calls our our level3 EVT trunk.
> Level 3 states that they only support canadian TN's calling Canadian TFN's
> as "best effort".
>
> we have the same issue sending the calls out Bandwidth, where they might
> likely send the call out Level3 as well.
> we have the same issue sending the calls out windstream.
>
> has anyone seen this issue as well?  i'm going to try a few more carriers.
>
> thanks,
>
> shri

Hi Shri,

Yes we see this a lot. The frustrating part is when the carrier
doesn't give a 503 but instead plays a recording. We usually have good
luck by first sending the call to our Peerless Networks trunks and
then if they can't terminate it, they do 503 it and then we try 360
Networks (Onvoy Voip360). This has given us the best results.

Carriers that we've tested that tend to play a message are O1
Communications and Hypercube,

I've been told in Canada many carriers have to pay to terminate the
Toll Free traffic reliably. I would suggest talking to Primus Canada
to see if they can help you out.

~Jared