[VoiceOps] Optimizing VoIP orig routing to exploit Verizon VoIP TDM interconnections

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:07:48 EST 2013

I think the better question is if this is origination what is the
endpoint its touching down on? Will that be an IP endpoint or something
else?

If its an IP endpoint is it going to be geographically homed?

I struggled with this for some time and finally concluded that what I
was chasing with orig had very little gain on the orig side due to load
balancing from my carriers etc, so I proceeded with termination since I
could control it much more tightly. If you are dealing with trunking
traffic where your customer side is statically defined then you might
try what I did for term though and do your steering based on the C line
in the SDP, and make sure your customers peer with BOTH locations so you
can avoid the back-haul.

TransNexus and I did a whitepaper on the topic maybe it will give you
some ideas.

-Ryan