[VoiceOps] VoIP on 10mb Cat 3 switched network

Simon Woodhead simon.woodhead at simwood.com
Fri Jan 4 14:12:08 EST 2013

Hi Carlos

Has anyone had experience successfully running VoIP over 10mb Cat 3
> cabling?  A new customer has asked, because that's what they have in place.
>  I'm not interested in an unreliable solution just to save a few bucks, but
> in theory it should work reliably to have a dedicated 10mb to each phone
> and then gigabit out of the main switches.

I'd be careful because your description says one thing to me: "old".

Old cabling is bad news. Considering 90% of network funnies stem from
cabling but it is often the last thing to get checked you might have issues
with loss.

Then there's the switches. Are they switches or are they hubs? If hubs,
forget it. If switches, are they supporting full duplex or are you looking
at 5Mb each way? Managed or unmanaged - I'd suspect unmanaged in which case
you're not going to be able to do a dedicated voice VLAN or manage QoS.
That all points to jitter of varying degrees given either congestion or
simple serialisation delay.

Putting it altogether I think you risk problems. Of course, if the switches
are managed and you can manage QoS and/or run a dedicated voice VLAN and
the cabling tests ok, you should be ok. It is certainly fine in a lab in
lab conditions since as OPs have said, the bandwidth is ample. It comes
down to how much the cabling, switches, and other traffic undermines your
efforts in the end.

All the best
Simon

--

Simon Woodhead
Simwood eSMS Limited

http://www.simwood.com

--
***** Email confidentiality notice *****

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.

Simwood eSMS Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 03379831. Registered office: c/o HW Chartered Accountants, Keepers Lane, The Wergs, Wolverhampton, WV6 8UA. Trading address: Falcon Drive, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 4RU.