[VoiceOps] VoIP on 10mb Cat 3 switched network

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Sun Jan 6 16:19:04 EST 2013

We definitely will not be using any of the specialty devices like this.
 The cost is too close to the cost of simply recabling.  Nobody wants to
learn a new device for what is probably a one-off job.

I'm going to give the customer the choice of a no-guarantee attempt to use
the current cabling or have our cable contractor go out and upgrade it all.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Paul Timmins <paul at timmins.net> wrote:

> Seconded. I've been wanting an application to try it, and Adtran isn't
> known for writing checks they can't cash. If you try this, let me know how
> it works.
>
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 14:06 , "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew at corp.crocker.com>
> wrote:
>
> Adtran NetVanta 1535P.  50 Mbps on cat3 upto 1200 feet with PoE built into
> their media converter.
>
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Erik Flournoy <erik at eespro.com> wrote:
>
> You'll most likely have to hard set the phones and or ports to 10mb I
> don't see a problem with it.  If that fails pull new cable or put a small
> DSLAM and modems :-/
>
> Erik Flournoy
> 808-426-4527
> 301-218-7325
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> This e-mail message, including any attachments from EESPRO.com<http://eespro.com/>- contain information which is CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. The
> information is intended only for the use of the individual named above and
> may not be disseminated to any other party without written permission. If
> you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
> for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any dissemination, disclosure, distribution, copying or
> taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mailed
> information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
> in error, please immediately notify info at eespro.com, and permanently
> delete this e-mail and the attachments hereto, if any, and destroy any
> printout thereof.
>

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com>wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had experience successfully running VoIP over 10mb Cat 3
>> cabling?  A new customer has asked, because that's what they have in place.
>>  I'm not interested in an unreliable solution just to save a few bucks, but
>> in theory it should work reliably to have a dedicated 10mb to each phone
>> and then gigabit out of the main switches.
>>

>> --
>> Carlos Alvarez
>> TelEvolve
>> 602-889-3003