[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Paul LaRegina Plaregina at siproutes.com
Fri Jan 18 10:58:14 EST 2013

The FCC’s wireless 911 rules apply to all wireless licensees, broadband
Personal Communications Service (PCS) licensees and certain Specialized
Mobile Radio (SMR) licensees. Mobile Satellite Service (MSS) providers,
however, are currently excluded.

*The FCC’s basic 911 rules* require wireless service providers to transmit
all 911 calls to a PSAP, regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the
provider’s service or not.

*Phase I Enhaced 911 (E911) rules* require wireless service providers to
provide the PSAP with the telephone number of the originator of a wireless
911 call and the location of the cell site or base station transmitting the
call.

*Phase II E911 rules* require wireless service providers to provide more
precise location information to PSAPs; specifically, the latitude and
longitude of the caller. This information must be accurate to within 50 to
300 meters depending upon the type of location technology used.

The FCC recently required wireless carriers to provide more precise
location information to PSAPs. As a result, wireless carriers will be
required to comply with the FCC’s location accuracy rules at either a
county-based or PSAP-based geographic level. The new standards apply to
outdoor measurements only, as indoor use poses unique obstacles.
Compliance

The FCC recently established benchmarks that wireless service providers
must meet over a period of eight years – providing wireless carriers with a
reasonable amount of time to meet the agency’s more stringent location
accuracy requirements.

Beginning in 2011, wireless service providers have been required to file
with the FCC a list of counties, or portions of counties, that they seek to
exclude from the location accuracy requirements. The FCC will permit
wireless carriers to exclude counties, or portions of counties, only where
wireless carriers determine that providing location accuracy is limited, or
technologically impossible, because of either heavy forestation or the
inability to triangulate a caller’s location. Wireless carriers must report
any changes to their exclusion lists within thirty days of such changes.
The exclusion lists and changes must be reported in the record of the FCC’s
docketed proceeding addressing location accuracy, PS Docket No.
07-114<http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=07-114>,
which is publicly available on the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System
(ECFS) webpage.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com>wrote:

> We have a customer who wants us to block 911 on the phones that they give
> to key employees to take home.  They don't want to pay fees for 911 service
> at each home (which is stupid, since it's so cheap, but that's a
> digression).  I told them this is "illegal" but they asked to see the law,
> and I can't actually find something that says so.  Yet that's the common
> knowledge around the industry.  I do have the FCC documents that require an
> ITSP to provide the service, but the customer contends it doesn't apply to
> this specific case.
>
> So two questions...
>
> Does anyone here allow their customers to do this?
>
> What is the best document to give the customer to support our position?
>
> --
> Carlos Alvarez
> TelEvolve
> 602-889-3003