[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Jan 18 15:51:03 EST 2013

I just wanted to point out one thing. The waiver I mentioned is NOT to avoid
providing 911 service for the customer as it sounds to be the case in
Vantage's situation. You MUST provide 911 service for the customer. The
waiver simply states that the 911 service is for the single location that
the phone was installed and while the phone might work if you move it
somewhere else, the 911 service will not!

I would fully agree that relying on waivers is risky business - especially
when it comes to 911.  When McDonald's can be held liable for someone
spilling hot coffee on themselves when they stuck it between her legs, you
can most certainly be sued for not providing 911 service when the customer
moved their phone. My suggestion would be to sign up for the roaming ALI
database service so the customers can update their location information
whenever they move the phone and then program the phones so that every time
the phone is powered up, the customer has to update their location in the
ALI database.   That's really the safest way to operate!

I remember going on an interview years ago to a retail company (who is no
longer in business) and one of the questions they brought up was a problem
they were dealing with at the moment. They had two locations across the
freeway from each other and when someone called the 911 from one location,
the ambulance ended up showing up at the wrong building. Through a little
investigation we found out that regardless of which location someone dialed
911 from, the calls were all routed to one number in their PBX. That one
number happened to be associated with the main building so when 911 was
called, that's where the ambulance showed up.

Mary Lou Carey

BackUP Telecom Consulting

marylou at backuptelecom.com

Office: 615-791-9969 x 2001