[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Sun Jan 20 11:00:40 EST 2013

My apologies, upon a careful re-reading of your e-mail I retract my
statement about it being out of date, as you may have just phrased part
of it unclearly (at least to this reader):

"If you choose to allow the customer to move their phone then you either
have to place a sticker on the phone stating that 911 service will not
be available to the customer OR you have to provide the customer with a
way to change their address information when they do move the phone."

I believe FCC regulations clearly state that if the phone can be moved
you must provide at least one mechanism for customers to update the
physical location information  There has been no "or" in this one since
the interim rules went away years ago.  But I may be misunderstanding
your intent here.

In any case, the scenario that Carlos described sounds a lot more, to me
at least, like the customer saying "These phones are going to be
location B but we want to save money by having the PSAP think the call
is coming from location A," rather than "Oh, yes, well, sometimes our
employees might sneak phones out of the building; what can you do?"

By the way, if you read the Vantage Communications document, I believe
you'll find the FCC never complained about us not delivering 911 calls.
They complained about us delivering 911 calls to the wrong PSAP for the
physical location of the phone. Which sounds pretty much like what
Carlos's customer is asking him to do if the employees live far away
enough from work.

And yes, I quite agree that VoIP didn't originate many of the problems
with 911--just made them worse.

--Jon Radel
jradel at vantage.com
267-756-1014