[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Joshua Goldbard j at 2600hz.com
Fri Jan 18 17:26:36 EST 2013

Great questions :).

So since we can override on a per device basis, you'll notice that I didn't put an actual address, I put ($Address). This is an important distinction.

Suppose we could sense a users physical position (IE via GPS on their SIP-enabled smartphone). We could then insert the lat-long and approximate address instead of transmitting the HQ address. In practice, most users will set their office devices to default to the HQ Emergency info, but on their home devices, they can set a different address (typically tied to their direct DID instead of the main number).

I don't believe you can send an address in real-time to a 911 service (if I'm wrong I'd be thrilled to learn of one). It's always a db lookup, which sort of negates the idea I proposed in my previous paragraph. In short, 911 is complex, antiquated and difficult. Even though we could EASILY provide live lat-long and address information to e911 the infrastructure isn't setup to support it and I think we're in agreement on this point.

BTW, It's also not kludgey if I know the difference between a direct dial and a main number (which I'd wager most people do since it's printed on most business cards).

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Goldbard
VP of Marketing, 2600hz