[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Jan 18 18:17:56 EST 2013

On Friday, January 18, 2013 2:27 PM, Joshua Goldbard <mailto:j at 2600hz.com> wrote:

> Great questions :).
>
> So since we can override on a per device basis, you'll notice that I
> didn't put an actual address, I put ($Address). This is an important
> distinction.
>
> Suppose we could sense a users physical position [...]

Right, but as you readily admitted later, you're speaking in hypotheticals here, while the problem that the OP put forth is a very real problem that exists today and which I still have not heard a good proposed solution for.  As far as I know (and your reply does not seem to contradict this), you cannot have 2 different devices at 2 different physical locations both transmit the same CLID to the PSAP but have the PSAP receive a different address for each; it's not possible to override the address on a per-device basis, only on a per-TN basis.  If you're using DIDs, then great!  Problem solved.  But if you're not, what is the solution?

That was specifically the OP's question.  In this scenario, there are no DIDs, only one main switchboard number and a bunch of internal extension #s.  Can a different address somehow be bound to one of the devices, even if there is only 1 phone number shared amongst all of them?  If the E911 service cannot identify devices in their database on some basis other than by telephone number (MAC address, maybe? transmitted in a custom SIP field?), I don't see how that is possible given the nature of today's systems, as Mr. Blenke explained.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC
nathana at fsr.com