[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jan 18 19:53:04 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Carlos Alvarez" <carlos at televolve.com>

> But it's trivial for any VoIP system to add a DID to a device.
> Therefore would the FCC or a lawyer in a civil suit argue that there was no
> technological impediment to you providing proper e911 service? The FCC
> says that customers can't opt out of 911 service, would they also
> claim that they can't opt out of a DID and address service for remote
> phones?

It is like hell.  DID's are a limited and costly resource.  If your PBX
is properly engineered for your load with 2 PRIs and 25 DIDs, and you have
4000 extensions, they're going to make you pay the monthly cost of 4000
extra DIDs for this?

I don't think so.

That would almost certainly be a 'taking'.

Cheers
-- jra