[VoiceOps] CALEA for the small fry operator

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Sat Jan 19 18:25:57 EST 2013

Carlos, thanks for doing that legwork.  A few questions come to mind:

1) What is the "one allowed data standard", and where did you find it referenced?

2) Is there any reference copy of the data standard publicly available?  Is it in fact the T1.678 that http://askcalea.fbi.gov/ mentions?

3) What signalling information do they require be recorded and/or streamed in real-time?

4) One might wonder if the concession made to operators not being required to completely redesign their networks was specifically made for those who had networks operating before CALEA compliance was made mandatory.  Is there any reason to believe that those of us who have started up networks in the last year or two, well after the CALEA requirements were put in place, cannot use this excuse?  It seems to me they could try to argue that we should have known at the outset that this would be required of us, and should have planned our network accordingly.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC
nathana at fsr.com