[VoiceOps] CALEA for the small fry operator

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Sun Jan 20 18:30:04 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Nathan Anderson <nathana at fsr.com> wrote:

> Carlos, thanks for doing that legwork.  A few questions come to mind:
>
> 1) What is the "one allowed data standard", and where did you find it
> referenced?

It's the J-STD that has been discussed in this thread a few times.  I don't
recall the full standard number. It's all over the CALEA documents.  I
couldn't find a public document for the standard, but didn't look hard.

> 3) What signalling information do they require be recorded and/or streamed
> in real-time?

Pretty much all data that passes in a call; dial, ring, answer, forward,
conference, transfer, DTMF, etc.

> 4) One might wonder if the concession made to operators not being required
> to completely redesign their networks was specifically made for those who
> had networks operating before CALEA compliance was made mandatory.  Is
> there any reason to believe that those of us who have started up networks
> in the last year or two, well after the CALEA requirements were put in
> place, cannot use this excuse?  It seems to me they could try to argue that
> we should have known at the outset that this would be required of us, and
> should have planned our network accordingly.

You may be right, and my reading of the docs left me thinking that one said
one thing, and another still allowed that exception.

My partner just had the idea that Asterisk Manager Interface may be the way
for an Asterisk-based ITSP to deliver call information.  Since AMI
immediately displays call events in a simple text interface via telnet, it
seems like it would be compliant.  You let the LE agency VPN to your
network, then telnet to the server for events.

Anyone have thoughts on that idea?

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve