[VoiceOps] +44 190 prefix

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Sat Mar 23 20:30:55 EDT 2013

On 23/03/13 15:52, Alex Balashov wrote:
> A customer of mine is seeing aggressive attempts to dial +441904891769
> through their system, but I can't find +44 190, or any superset or
> subset thereof (beyond '44', obviously) in any rate decks easily at my
> disposal.  None of the usual retail suspects have it listed in any of
> their online pricing, either.
>
> I assume this means it's a new prefix, but can anyone tell if it's a
> premium number?

Not a premium rate.  Standard UK geographic number.

https://www.aql.com/telecoms/network_lookup.php?number=01904891769&nlSubmit=submit

Will tell you that it is provided by Magrathea.  These guys are a
wholesale provider of VoIP numbers.  So decent chance these is some kind
of SIP PBX on the end of it.  Although it could be a hosted provider
too.  Many telcos in the UK use Magrathea to provide phone numbers.

I bet somebody is trying to brute force the voicemail account or
something, to then dial onto premium rate numbers from there.

For those people not used to UK numbers.
+44  - country
1904  - area code, which is the city of York
89 will be the range allocated to Magrathea.

You can also lookup UK numbers at:
http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

--
Tim Bray