[VoiceOps] Hackers Crash Clay Co. Phones ...

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 13:52:23 EDT 2014

IP DDOS and TDOS are really two different problems but yes we as ITSP's
and CLECs living in the IP space are absolutely susceptible to both.

Ive done a fair amount of research into both of these topics and we have
seen varying cases of both, but usually IP DDOS steals the spotlight
because the numbers are bigger and the effects are usually more
widespread whereas a TDOS attack is rarely felt by anyone that doesn't
live in the affected region or isn't actively trying to call the victim,
and usually telcos keep these issues pretty close to the chest.

I expect this sort of attack is going to increase in magnitude in the
coming 24-36 months as attackers figure out how to wield it. Mark
Collier gave a very interesting talk at one of the CFCA events on this
topic, though the focus was on the enterprise victim, but the lessons
are really the same. There just arent really any good tools to mitigate
this sort of attack today, especially at the carrier level.

-Ryan