[VoiceOps] [VOIPSEC] Tackling VoIP fraud, new idea

Gast, Jim jim.gast at tdstelecom.com
Fri Feb 21 16:57:15 EST 2014

Hi, team -

In the early days of Public Key Infrastructure, we had easy ways to solve these trust questions.

The list admin creates a public-key  / private-key pair called the LIST_CERT.  Giving anyone the LIST_CERT gives them both keys in the pair.
The list admin creates a public-key / private-key pair called the VoIPSec Certificate Authority key-pair.  The public-key becomes publicly available, but the private key is NEVER GIVEN OUT to anyone.  The VoIPSec_CA_CERT contains the public-key, but NOT the private-key.

To join the list, each participant must prove (once) that the email address they give us is authentic.  The new participant creates a personal key pair and gives ONLY the public key to the list administrator as a certificate signing request.  The new participant will then be given a CERTificate that signs his personal public key with the VoIPSec_CA key.

Legitimate participants to the mailing list are given the LIST_CERT.  If someone does not have the LIST_CERT, eavesdroppers will be unable to decrypt emails on the list.
All emails to the email list are SIGNED by an personal CERT (that is SIGNED by VoIPSec_CA) and the body of the email is also ENCRYPTED using the LIST_CERT.

Since the signature will match, the email could only have come from that particular sender (and the body could not have been altered).  And the body of every email can be decrypted by any authentic list member.

Does that work well?

Cheers,

/ Jim