[VoiceOps] VoIP Monitor

Dave Clark dave at impulse.net
Wed Jul 23 13:09:59 EDT 2014

I just spent time researching this last week for California where we are based and my conclusion was that as a "public utility engaged in the business of providing communications services and facilities" we have an exemption from the call recording laws at least for the purpose of running a communications network.

We do have a California CLEC, and although I consider our voice "Interconnected VoIP", I think intent of the law is pretty clear that telephone service providers are exempt for the purposes of maintaining their network.

The full California law is here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=630-638

Here is the exemption language:

   (b) This section shall not apply (1) to any public utility engaged
in the business of providing communications services and facilities,
or to the officers, employees or agents thereof, where the acts
otherwise prohibited herein are for the purpose of construction,
maintenance, conduct or operation of the services and facilities of
the public utility, or (2) to the use of any instrument, equipment,
facility, or service furnished and used pursuant to the tariffs of a
public utility, or (3) to any telephonic communication system used
for communication exclusively within a state, county, city and
county, or city correctional facility.

--
Dave Clark
President