[VoiceOps] Bizarre Progress -> Answer when call is not yet answered (bandwidth.com issue?)

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Nov 18 23:28:50 EST 2014

Calls for my customers work like this:

     Incoming DID -> Me -> Forward Call Termination

One of my customers complained this evening around 7pm EST that a pre-roll
message that plays immediately after they answer the call but before the
two call legs are connected wasn't being played.

When I started to investigate, I saw that the 2nd leg was getting a
183 Session Progress message, and almost immediately after a 200 OK,
indicating the call was answered. But the callee hadn't answered yet. And
because of that, the pre-roll message was being played, but not to the
answering party because THEY hadn't answered yet.

I tested the 2nd leg with 3 different termination carriers, all with the
same result.

In my tests the commonality was that the terminating numbers that saw the
immediate Progress -> Answer was that they were both Bandwidth.com numbers.

If people have some tests they can do on termination to Bandwidth.com
numbers and see if it is reproduceable, I'd appreciate it.

Beckman