[VoiceOps] CPE side Passive Monitoring

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Oct 29 12:36:17 EDT 2014

On 10/29/14, 3:45 AM, Kris Alberts wrote:
> Hi
>
> Looking for a cost effective, easily deployed, useful passive monitoring
> probe to be deployed at the customer prem for voip traffic monitoring.
>  My main objective is to reduce MTTR and provide a clear demarcation
> service for customers that supplies their own LAN. We use a variety of
> CPE device (primarily Cisco though) so I will need to find an external
> hardware probe that caters for all use cases.
>
> There seems to be a variety of solutions available so was hoping you
> could share you experience on some of the solutions that you are using.
> I really need to understand the extent to which the added visibility
> optimised your product in terms of better support, fewer truck rolls
> etc. All of these listed products claims to do just that.

We use the Adtran TA900 series as a demarcation point, they are a very
versatile SIP toolbox with huge feature set. They also do voice quality
monitoring, can do packet capture, and can (but aren't required to)
interface with Adtran's N-Command central server that can store
historical data, back up configurations, etc.

This isn't passive, but it provides very good monitoring in addition to
PRI conversion, analog drops, SIP proxy, etc.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net