[VoiceOps] Grandstream ATAs for Faxing

Jamey jamesleo at socket.net
Tue Sep 9 10:39:54 EDT 2014

Hello,
We having been utilizing Grandstream ATAs (HT70X and GXW400X) as analog
hand offs with our Hosted Services built on the Broadworks platform and
Sansay's SBC.  We've had regular trouble when using them with fax and
credit card machines.  We support t38 but have often gone to g711
pass-through.  Echo cancellation is disabled.  We've tested them with
the various jitter buffer lengths, Rx/Tx setting adjustments and various
impedance values.  The results seem very inconsistent.  This is site to
site as well as inconsistent results at the same site.  The
faxing/credit card transmissions will work for a period of time and then
begin failing without any changes.

We are a CLEC who control the QoS from device out to the PSTN.  We've
found that replacing the ATA with a Adtran TA90X usually corrects the
issues but this is not a cost effective solution.

Anyone have similar experiences with Grandstream ATAs?  Anyone have
reliable VoIP faxing with their ATAs? If anyone has been successful
integrating the Grandstreams, I would be interested in knowing what
config changes you've made from their default.  Which models you've used
with which firmware?

Anyone have other ATA's that seem to work well for faxing and credit
card machines?  We'd like to keep our offering to as few manufacturers
as possible that can offer 2, 4, 8+ FXS ports.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Jamey
Socket Telecom