[VoiceOps] Dead Air calls to TFNs

April Jones april at teliax.com
Tue Apr 14 10:55:57 EDT 2015

We handle a lot of toll-free traffic and we can compensate carriers who
send us their toll-free traffic, because we're able to bill the term LEC
and "spread the wealth" as it were. The unfortunate downside is customers
who generate fraudulent traffic (dead air, background noise) to do "traffic
pumping." It's not difficult to detect, we monitor traffic on new toll-free
customers (one-way RTP streams, exact same ALOC for connected calls, lots
of calls from the same ANIs...) but it does slip through every now and
again. We've disconnected a handful of customers for pulling this one.
Where there's "free money" to be made, you can bet someone is generating
nonsense and sending it your way.

I don't think it's specifically targeted (we've had our customers ask us
about random dead-air calls to their toll-free numbers) but it sure is
frustrating.

Probably not a security risk, just annoying fraud. The bigger carriers who
are paying out on the toll-free traffic will scrutinize this stuff to no
end, so whoever is responsible for originating that traffic or billing AT&T
or Verizon is going to get a nice surprise come billing time...