[VoiceOps] Easy ways to measure PDD

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Apr 20 17:35:30 EDT 2015

Thanks Matthew... but...

"I don't want to manage yet another server or metrics repository in order
to hold all of this call data..."

This requires a whole pile of new software to be installed AND MySQL to be
run somewhere. http://www.voipmonitor.org/doc/Architecture

I have .pcap files from tcpdump with the call data. sngrep can parse it
very fast and very well, but it is a curses-GUI and I need something I can
automate.

Dream workflow:

     sipgrep --packet-type-start INVITE --report pdd --direction outbound \
         --input-packet-capture sip07.pcap \
         | shell-script-mangle \
         | xargs -n1 push-metrics

This way I can have a graph of PDD per termination partner (the
shell-script-mangle would translate IP addresses into service provider
tags/names) and push the metrics to my existing metrics system (statsd + graphite +
grafana) and alert when things pass a threshold.

Beckman