[VoiceOps] Easy ways to measure PDD

Ivan Kovacevic ivan.kovacevic at startelecom.ca
Tue Apr 21 16:02:37 EDT 2015

Alex,

That's exactly what we do. And the only other twist, since we work with a
lot of dialer traffic, is that the originator may hang up before
180/183/200 come through. So the whole 20-30 second non-connected call may
be PDD.

To operationalize the data and make it actionable, we measure prevalence of
8+second PDD (arbitrary) calls by provider. If it exceeds 20% (also
arbitrary) in any 15 minute interval we flag it, run some examples and send
to the NOC team to investigate/escalate with the provider.

We have just started doing this, and have gone from being driven by
client-reported issues to proactively chasing after providers to fix it…
and we are definitely starting to see some improvements, as well as
patterns.

The hope is we can further tighten the parameters to keep the offending
calls to sub 10%.

Best Regards,

Ivan Kovacevic

Vice President, Client Services