[VoiceOps] ADT Alarms Special Dialing?

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Aug 7 17:51:45 EDT 2015

In addition to the other responses, I should point out that it would seem you are making an assumption here, and one that I would wager is an incorrect one.  Nowhere did Mr. Conor say he was delivering voice to the end-user via IP.  Nowhere.  In fact, I would take his language ("...we provided an analog POTS line...") to mean that as a CLEC, at least in these specific cases that he is talking about, he is ordering copper UNE-L from the ILEC and pumping dial-tone down it with his own switch.  (I don't want to speak for him, though, and would welcome his correction.)

The only reason VoIP came up prior to this in the conversation was in order to give examples of things that others (including myself) have learned by experience can screw with a phone-based alarm panel's ability to communicate with the head-end.  If ADT is not purposefully filtering out calls by doing real-time LRN lookups as calls come in (which I am sure they are NOT doing), then there must be something else in the path interfering with that communication.  I offered my experience with DTMF problems over VoIP because I figured that it was possible that even if the last mile was not VoIP, somewhere between the switch that services his customer(s) and ADT's head-end MIGHT be IP-based transport, and perhaps the DTMF is getting massaged or mangled there.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC
nathana at fsr.com