[VoiceOps] Preventing calls to cell phones with guaranteed accuracy

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 18:04:31 EDT 2015

I'm going to answer a number of messages at once, because there were quite
a few replies (thanks to all of you).

NPA-NXX filtering is already being done, and is useless.  So they also
employ list scrubbing based on what appears to be old/cached LNP info or
dips, and that is also insufficient both legally and practically.  The data
sources being used in the industry now do not appear to comply with the law.

For anyone who is saying that you can't determine a cell phone due to LNP,
you are wrong.  Please look up these terms and you will see it's very
possible:  LERG, LRN, OCN  As far as cell phones that are turned into
"home" service, that's fine, we don't care about false positives.  We just
need to make sure that a cell number is never dialed by mistake.  And the
law allows a 15 day grace period from porting.

On the "guarantee" that isn't something we'd provide, what I mean was
simply a data source that is always accurate.  Such as LRN-LERG testing for
every call.  The customer will accept ultimate responsibility.

Some people recommended third-party services both on and off the list.  The
one concern there is again, accuracy.  If the list scrubbers can't get it
right...then any third party is suspect.  Are they using cached data?  Or
acquiring data from dubious sources?  I don't know.