[VoiceOps] Preventing calls to cell phones with guaranteed accuracy

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Aug 18 23:45:04 EDT 2015

Agreed. The more fundamental question was: given the LRN, what's the easiest way to find out if the switch to which it is homed belongs to a wireless operator?

The LERG has this information, but a LERG subscription is arguably overkill for such a narrow application and hard to economically justify, especially given Telcordia/iconectiv's pricing strategy of, "Well, how much money ya got?" 95% of the LERG is not needed here.

So, I think the question that best speaks to Carlos's actual line of enquiry is not, "How do I do LNP dips?" We all do LNP dips around here, with varying degrees of real-time accuracy depending on our needs and where in the supply chain we get the data. The real question is whether Neustar, TNS or friends offer a relatively turn-key live query product that allows one to query a number and get a current (i.e. based on current LRN) answer of "wireless", "RBOC", etc. Such a product would allow one to bypass an economically and technically burdensome intermediate step of querying the LERG.

Just as list scrubbing products are useless for this high-risk application, so are random resellers and API providers for this data. We don't know where they're getting the data, how often it's updated, and they have a strong incentive to cache in any resale play. As Carlos said, "best effort" isn't an affirmative defence here, so nothing less than the curators of NPAC or their first-tier derivatives will do.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov | Principal | Evariste Systems LLC
303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)
Web: http://www.evaristesys.com/, http://www.csrpswitch.com/

Sent from my Nexus 10.