[VoiceOps] Preventing calls to cell phones with guaranteed accuracy

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Aug 25 16:41:13 EDT 2015

On 08/25/2015 04:29 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> On 08/25/2015 04:24 PM, Paul Timmins wrote:
>
>> taking the obvious cell phone blocks out first saves you time and
>> money.
>
> Curious, how does that deal with a scenario in which there was an
> intermodal port wireless -> fixed-line? Or does this just not tend to
> happen to any non-negligible degree?
>
> If so, I wonder if that may change with the advent of MVNOs whose back
> side is a VoIP-oriented CLEC + the regulatory movement toward non-LEC
> ITSPs owning their own number resources Is it reasonable to expect
> that all mobile numbers operated by some sort of "enhanced" wireless
> provider (e.g. a boutique MVNO) will be homed to the big networks'
> number blocks which return a wireless affiliation?

Most marketers don't care. It happens, but very very rarely - the cost
benefits of pre-scrubbing a few million numbers this way tends to
outweigh the occasional sale they'll get hitting one of these (remember,
the call to conversion ratio is typically amazingly low to begin with).
If things do move back to landline, it's usually stuff that started that
way. Many people have wireless numbers not in their home ratecenter
(because wireless carriers do things by MSA and never really had to
care) and most landline carriers won't port it to a landline if it's out
of ratecenter.

-Paul