[VoiceOps] Hardware transcoding solutions?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 27 16:16:24 EDT 2015

Strongly agree with Simon that transcoding several thousand concurrent
channels on a multicore box is highly possible in software, using FOSS,
and that it would most likely yield the best per-port economics,
learning curve and ongoing maintenance notwithstanding.

However, Brooks' stated main criteria isn't cost so much as physical
density and power footprint. With that in mind, I'm not sure if a single
1U server can reasonably do 5000 channels in software _and_ provide a
future growth path. Companies that realise they can do X much more
economically than they thought possible tend to do exponentially more
X[1], so I could see a home-grown solution branching out into a 3-5 box
setup easily. As I understood it, that's something Brooks is looking to
avoid here, primarily due to rackspace and power constraints.

-- Alex

[1] In the style of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)