[VoiceOps] Hardware transcoding solutions?

David Knell david.knell at telng.com
Thu Aug 27 16:34:06 EDT 2015

Provided that the exponentially more transcoding that they'll try to do is
equal to or less than the exponentially Moore increase in processing power
over time*, this solution comes with an in-built growth path.

--Dave

* I'm aware that that's not quite what Mr. Moore said.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>
wrote:

> Strongly agree with Simon that transcoding several thousand concurrent
> channels on a multicore box is highly possible in software, using FOSS, and
> that it would most likely yield the best per-port economics, learning curve
> and ongoing maintenance notwithstanding.
>
> However, Brooks' stated main criteria isn't cost so much as physical
> density and power footprint. With that in mind, I'm not sure if a single 1U
> server can reasonably do 5000 channels in software _and_ provide a future
> growth path. Companies that realise they can do X much more economically
> than they thought possible tend to do exponentially more X[1], so I could
> see a home-grown solution branching out into a 3-5 box setup easily. As I
> understood it, that's something Brooks is looking to avoid here, primarily
> due to rackspace and power constraints.
>
> -- Alex
>
> [1] In the style of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox
>
> --
> 303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
> Atlanta, GA 30346
> United States
>
> Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)

David Knell, Director, TelNG
T: +44 1223 797979 / +1 970-315-4721
W: http://www.telng.com
H: http://www.daveknell.com