[VoiceOps] Hardware transcoding solutions?

Simon Perreault sperreault at jive.com
Thu Aug 27 16:50:58 EDT 2015

Le 2015-08-27 16:25, Nenad Corbic a écrit :

> I think we are discussing different things here.
>
> What Sw are you using ?

Home-grown.

> Our dual Xeon Hp dl380 g7.
> Using vanilla  FreeSWITCH without transcoding can do 2000 calls yes.
> Full signaling and rtp media.
>
> If you add sw transcoding that number drops exponentially to about 500. For g729.
>
> Maybe you have nicer software that is much more efficient.

Yes we do. Sorry, can't go into details for obvious reasons.

I don't know about the performance of FreeSWITCH. All I say is that a
generic server can transcode >5k calls in software.

Quite a few years ago at a ClueCon I tried explaining how everyone was
writing VoIP software the wrong way and how they were throwing
performance out the window. You were there Nenad. :) Admittedly I was
fairly drunk so I probably did not sound very convincing... ;)

> How are you dealing with the I/O on single core with few thousand calls?

5k calls is ~500 kpps, not a problem on any non-ancient server NIC.

Simon