[VoiceOps] HPBX over ADSL

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 13:42:45 EST 2015

Hi Anthony,
We do this pretty frequently with a high success rate. It really depends
on the site size and usage patterns.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

 1. If its a 1-2 user remote office the service profile is realy no
    different than a residential user. Deploy accordingly.
 2. For higher user density sites we usually will deploy some kind of
    edge router (edgemarc / simplewan etc). A small amount of QOS at
    egress goes a long way on asymmetrical connections.
 3. Abandon G711 where possible for a FEC codec (Opus is my weapon of
    choice). A tiny amount of packet loss or jitter on Opus makes zero
    difference. A larger amount of packet loss, which would generate
    clicks and pops on G711 will not be as noticable over Opus (and
    still sound superior to most cell conversations. If necessary
    transcode at edge to support this.
 4. Abandon standard ports. This is really more about avoiding
    psuedo-intelligent ALG's in the path for the 1-2 user sites.
 5. Be reasonable. Nobody is going to (ok some will try but it should be
    advised against) run a 200+ user shop on adsl.

I'm happy to discuss in more depth offline if you have specific questions

-Ryan