[VoiceOps] HPBX over ADSL

Robert Johnson robert.j at bendtel.com
Wed Dec 2 19:19:19 EST 2015

>From a service provider perspective here, but, we've put a good amount
of effort into prioritizing DSCP values 24 and 46 on our DSL network. We
then configure all of the VoIP equipment we control to set the values.

I've also seen the QoS settings for the current generation of Century
Link modems, they provide you the option to configure both the download
and upload DSCP values. By default, they set "Century Link SIP" values
(24 and 46).

I don't know about other providers, but it may be worth a call to a teir
2 or teir 3 technician.

In any case, there's no reason you can't work with the customer (and
their IT staff/consultant) to prioritize SIP on their upstream bandwidth.

On 12/02/2015 02:37 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:
> We have a lot of customers using a BYOI model for small offices and remote
> users.  About half are on DSL, half on cable.  Well, there are a couple on
> other services, but not many.  As with any network connection we don't
> control, we explain that call quality is not guaranteed, but help them do
> testing to see if it's at least possible.  We have them run tests on
> speedtest.net and pingtest.net a few times throughout a normal day and send
> us the results.  From there we can tell if success is likely or unlikely.
> We've done sites up to around 15-20 phones on copper-based typical DSL and
> cable service, and more than that if they are fiber-based.
>

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Anthony Orlando via VoiceOps <
> voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:
>
>> Is anyone having success deploying HPBX over DSL?  Not service providers
>> that own the plant but those of you using another providers DSL.  Have you
>> been successful?  If so what were the engineering guidelines you used?
>> What were the tolerances you used?  Any feedback would be very welcomed.

Robert Johnson
BendTel, Inc.
(541)389-4020
Central Oregon's Own Telephone and Internet Service Provider
http://bendtel.com/about/